Cedar Mountain Battlefield Foundation is a community-based non-profit corporation dedicated to working cooperatively with landowners and local citizens to protect, restore, maintain, manage, interpret, and promote public awareness of the Cedar Mountain Civil War Battlefield and vicinity in Culpeper County, Virginia.
Preservation of Cedar Mountain Battlefield has a history decades long. Cedar Mountain Battlefield Foundation, formerly Friends of Cedar Mountain, is the successor organization to the Cedar Mountain Battlefield Restoration Association, formed in 1984, which coordinated with local landowners to clean and restore battlefield monuments and sponsored battle reenactments in 1983, 1984, 1987 and 1990.
At Cedar Mountain Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson led his troops into battle on August 9, 1862 against Nathaniel Banks’ corps of John Pope’s new Army of Virginia. Over 3,000 men were killed or wounded that afternoon and evening in the shadow of Cedar Mountain during the deadliest day in Culpeper’s history. Culpeper’s native son, Major General A. P. Hill, sealed the Confederate victory when his division reformed Jackson’s crumbled line and led the charge that turned the tide of the battle. For Hill and the other Culpeper men engaged, this was a personal battle to liberate their homes, friends and family from the Union occupation.
With the support of local citizens and the American Battlefield Trust, Cedar Mountain Battlefield Foundation is working to ensure that this battle and the valor displayed by both armies will never be forgotten.
Accomplishments to Date
We have compiled a significant record of accomplishment. Board members and Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield have been working closely with the American Battlefield Trust (ABT) to restore the historical landscape of the 152-acre Cedar Mountain Battlefield Park.
Since March 2003 we have:
- Purchased two acres of land along Dove Hill Road,
- Planted over 2,000 trees to reforest 6.5 acres of land that were forested in 1862,
- Restored a portion of the old Orange-Culpeper Road (approximately 150 yards),
- Installed split-rail fence along the restored portion of the Orange-Culpeper Road
- Continued our wildlife habitat management and enhancement
- Placed "Civil War Trails" signs on Route 29 at the exit to Route 15 and at the battlefield,
- Secured an American Battlefield Protection Program grant,
- Established a monthly guided group tour as well as private tour availability, and
- Established an annual commemoration and living history event that brings to life the stories of soldiers and civilians impacted by the battle.
Officers & Board of Directors
President & Board Member
Treasurer & Board Member
Alonzo L. Lacy, Jr.
Across the River in the Shade of the Trees