No. 17. Col. Charles Candy.

No. 17.

Report of Col. Charles Candy, Sixty-sixth Ohio Infantry.

Hdqrs. Sixty-sixth Regt. Ohio Vol. Infty., U. S. A.,               
Camp near Culpeper Court-House, Va.,  August  11, 1862.

     General:    In compliance to circular, dated Headquarters Second Division Corps D’Armée,  Army of Virginia, I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by my regiment in the late action of Saturday, August 9, near Culpeper Court-House, Va.:

     The regiment left camp at Culpeper Court-House, Va., in company with the remainder of the brigade, under command of Brigadier-General Geary;  arrived on the field, and took position on the left of the Seventh Ohio, the line running, as near as can be ascertained due north and south.   Remained in that position about an hour;  then ordered to move to the right and change position in rear of batteries almost perpendicular to our original front, which was done at a double-quick.  Took position in rear of batteries;  remained about an hour; ordered to advance;  moved 200 or 300 yards and commenced firing; ordered to halt;  laid down in corn field and remained in that position near an hour;  ordered to advance firing on the enemy’s skirmishers, which was done.  As soon as the troops on the right and left commenced falling back I ordered my regiment to fall back firing, no one being present to give any orders and no support in view.  After falling back some 10 or 15 yards I again ordered the advance;  advanced beyond our original line some 10 or 20 yards.  This was repeated several times;  again fell back firing.  Upon finding out that the enemy had our range, and with grape and shell were mowing down the brave men under my command, I fell back to the woods on this side of the creek, bringing with me but about 60 men left of my entire regiment.  Upon coming out I found a squad of the Fifth, Seventh, and Twenty-ninth Ohio formed, waiting for some one to give them orders what to do.   I was here informed that General Geary had been wounded in the early part of the engagement, and immediately reported to Major-General Banks for instructions.  Was ordered by him to take position on the right of General Greene’s brigade, at the edge of the timber this side of the Run (Cedar Creek);  started to take position as ordered, throwing out an advance guard of 10 men, under command of Captain Van Deman, Sixty-sixth Ohio. He advanced, throwing out his advance guard as skirmishers.  Upon their arrival at the edge of the timber they were ordered to halt and deliver up their arms.  At that instant my command was fired upon by a strong party concealed in the timber.  My regiment of about 60 men, being in the advance, received their fire, which wounded 1 captain, 3 lieutenants, and quite a number of the enlisted men.  After returning their fire fell back and reported the facts to General Pope, commanding, who ordered me to place my men where they could rest for the night.

     From the reports received by the acting adjutant of the regiment went into the action about 250 strong.  My officers and men stood throughout the engagement under a galling fire of musketry, shell, and grape, obeying every order promptly and punctually.  I have the honor to inclose herewith list of killed, wounded, and missing.*

     I have the honor to be, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

CHAS. CANDY,       
Colonel Sixty-sixth Regiment Ohio Vols.,  Comdg. Regiment.

     Brig. Gen. George S. Greene,
          Comdg. Second Div., Second corps d’Armée, Army of Virginia.

*Nominal list here omitted shows 11 killed, 79 wounded, and 1 missing.  But see revised statement, p. 137.  [Report No. 2.]